Hawkwind Trademark Wars

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Apr 15 08:23:50 EDT 2013

On 15 Apr 2013, at 01:49 , Colin Allen <colinjallen at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I suspect that his royalties are not very good at all; sales of Hawkwind recordings that he is on, and all the other assorted projects that he has been involved in, are not going to be stellar.

Yeah, it's hard to see Nik bringing in a lot of cash from his songwriting royalties from the HW back-catalog.  Equally, I'm perfectly willing to believe Nik would instigate or participate willingly in an effort to trademark a "Nik Turner's Hawkwind", whether or not Cleopatra were involved. I'm not convinced that any of the parties in the "Hawkwind orbit" are necessarily either entirely scrupulous or have their heads entirely screwed on with matters of business and law (these not being fields we associate with membership in, or association with, Hawkwind).

Plus, this is all stuff that has happened before, no? And it will doubtless go on while anyone is alive to do it.

Yet I can't help but think that it doesn't matter too much.  So what Nik (or anyone) trademark's "Nik Turner's Hawkwind"? Is it really going to generate any appreciable quantity of money, or take away any appreciable revenue from Hawkwind "proper"? I doubt it.  Is it really legit, and have Brock & Co. the right to object? Sure, I can see that too.  Seems fair that Nik could call himself "ex-Hawkwind" yet also that he should not use the term "Hawkwind in his organizational name. OK, fine. But ... seriously, even as a fan of "Hawkwind music", I just can't get emotional over yet another spat -- whoever's justified -- between different members, ex-members, etc.  Whatever, guys: sort it out ... or not.

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson