OFF: Music player advice, Return of...

Mike Holmes fofp at STAFFMAIL.ED.AC.UK
Mon Aug 5 05:03:49 EDT 2013

On 03/08/2013 22:25, Keith Henderson wrote:

>>> I need the home router to put my external drive(s) on this desktop computer into
>>> use elsewhere in the house obviously...don't know how simple (and troublefree) that is until I try it.
>
>> I'd look at connecting the 'puter to the router via an ethernet cable (better connectivity).
>
> Which router?  Which computer?  I don't know how this sh*t works, as I said.
> Wouldn't I still have my Linksys standard hardwire router in play?*  With the desktop PC plugged
> directly into that (non-WiFi)?  And then the WiFi router I buy plugged into the old Linksys box the
> same way (ethernet cable), and that broadcast out to the tablet in the living room (and my old Dell
> laptop in my room, which has an old clunky WiFi card).  What about the firewall box that is in line here?
> I keep that in there too don't I?

That all sounds like it should work.

> *or do I toss that aside (as redundant) when I buy a WiFi router?  Do they have duel functionality (ie. plug-in as well)?

It should be easy to buy a wifi router which has external ethernet
ports. That plugs into your phone line through an adaptor which splits
the phone line into a phone line and data line. You can run an ethernet
cable from your computer to the wifi router.

FoFP

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.