OFF: Music player advice, Return of...

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Mon Aug 5 08:28:37 EDT 2013

On 03 Aug 2013, at 16:01 , Keith Henderson <khenders64 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> So, the device will be primarily for playing my Mom's music collection, which is just small enough to load entirely onto the device without consideration of WiFi streaming.  And it has to be simple to operate by an 80yr old, and plug into our current stereo/speaker setup (which while unnecessarily large/powersapping, is otherwise completely useless, but not ready to be junked, so...)

Well, I think the usability of the UI will depend more on the user than anything else -- but you are then right that the tablet's bigger screen might be a plus!

> Plus, would an iTouch easily link up to a home PC/external drive full of AAC files via a std. home WiFi router?  Like I said, I'm totally ignorant about practical WiFi use.  The WiFi receiver that the iTouch has to connect to the iStore remotely is the same kind of WiFi receiver that accepts streaming in your home-WiFi setting?  Or not?  Or what?

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but if all your mom's music is on the device as AACs or MP3s or whatever, and you are looking to play it over an existing stereo, then attaching to online stores (Apple's or any other) is irrelevant, no?  You've got all your music on the mobile device.

The trick remains getting it to your current stereo setup, as you say. (That's actually why I suggested a purpose-made mobile speaker-dock, perhaps with Bluetooth, leaving out the legacy stereo system altogether.  Then the device just plays directly to the speaker-dock, with or without being attached.) You could either run an cable from the device's headphone jack to an aux input on your legacy stereo, or buy some separate wireless (Bluetooth?) receiver that is itself connected to the legacy stereo's aux input. (I don't know that such devices exist, but it seems like they should.)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson