since Alan Davey has been brought up

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Aug 27 14:27:00 EDT 2013

On 27 Aug 2013, at 12:12 , mary ann sullivan <maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET> wrote:

> don't know about that vocal, don't believe Wilson would himself into the
> mix, especially since he was a kid when the album came out, and I think the
> tries to honor the albums by making them sound clearer to his ear.

Wilson's mixes seem to remain very true to the spirit of the original mixes -- just usually clearer and more separated. If you like the spirit of the original mix, this is great; for example, his remix of Tull's Aqualung really makes one think "Thank heavens someone has fixed that at last!". If you are not so into the original mix, then at least it's better and clearer. For example, I am a wicked heretic who didn't really like the production on Warrior on the Edge of Time, and would have liked a different apporach in the mix. But I can't say that Wilson's remix doesn't achieve what it set out to achieve, but it certainly seems to do that!

I can't speak for the 5.1 mix(es). I have 5.1 after a fashion on the home theater setup, but it's a lowerish end commercial thing that's crammed into a less than ideal space in the house (albeit the most ideal of many less than ideal spaces) and I am not sure that my setup would do the 5.1 mix justice!

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson