since Alan Davey has been brought up

mary ann sullivan maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Wed Aug 28 07:40:15 EDT 2013

Hey Carl, I hope you and family are well. I think Steven's mix is a lot of
fun. I think I'll play it now, Tim's sleeping, so this is a good chance to
listen undistracted with phones.

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On
Behalf Of Carl Edlund Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:27 PM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: since Alan Davey has been brought up

On 27 Aug 2013, at 12:12 , mary ann sullivan <maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET>
wrote:

> don't know about that vocal, don't believe Wilson would himself into
> the mix, especially since he was a kid when the album came out, and I
> think the tries to honor the albums by making them sound clearer to his
ear.

Wilson's mixes seem to remain very true to the spirit of the original mixes
-- just usually clearer and more separated. If you like the spirit of the
original mix, this is great; for example, his remix of Tull's Aqualung
really makes one think "Thank heavens someone has fixed that at last!". If
you are not so into the original mix, then at least it's better and clearer.
For example, I am a wicked heretic who didn't really like the production on
Warrior on the Edge of Time, and would have liked a different apporach in
the mix. But I can't say that Wilson's remix doesn't achieve what it set out
to achieve, but it certainly seems to do that!

I can't speak for the 5.1 mix(es). I have 5.1 after a fashion on the home
theater setup, but it's a lowerish end commercial thing that's crammed into
a less than ideal space in the house (albeit the most ideal of many less
than ideal spaces) and I am not sure that my setup would do the 5.1 mix
justice!

Cheers,
Carl

--