since Alan Davey has been brought up

mary ann sullivan maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Wed Aug 28 09:45:09 EDT 2013

don't have Aqualung, yet heard TAAb, and I agree with you.

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On
Behalf Of Carl Edlund Anderson
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:18 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: since Alan Davey has been brought up

On 28 Aug 2013, at 07:08 , mary ann sullivan <maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET>
wrote:

> I guess he's doing Close To The Edge, and (the one I want) Benefit.

Tull's _Benefit_? That current remastered version sounds pretty good, but I
wouldn't object to a Wilson remix. Certainly one of my favorite albums!

> Tim says he's the devil after all our money.  I think he's just
> brilliant with no hidden agenda except to try to make old recordings
> sound better.

I tend to agree with you, though as I suggest in my previous posts, the
particular added value with any given remix depends heavily on how the
existing mixes sound.  Even the best of the remastered Aqualung CDs sounded
rather rough, and Wilson's remix is definitely worth it. Wilson adds some
clarity to the Warrior remix as well. On the other hand, while you can hear
the difference (with, at least, some effort) on the Thick As A Brick remix,
I thought the mix there was pretty decent and the Wilson's treatment is less
obvious than on, say, Aqualung.

Sure, I suppose record companies are desperate to find something to sell,
and no one is turning away the money. Steve Wilson has to eat, too. :) But I
think in general his remixes are a better value than yet another attempt by
the record companies to say "look, we've remastered it again, but even
louder than before!" .... ;)

Cheers,
Carl

--