OFF) no "strangers" in here, just lettin' ya'll know/ A.ANDROID voiceover

Nathan Gilbert nathan.gilbert at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 19 12:06:23 EST 2013

The "Turing Test" is a bit more subtle than that. It was actually
devised to test if an "Artificial Intelligence" was as intelligent as
a human. The thought being if you can hold a conversation with an
entity and can't discern if it is a robot, then it has "human-like"
intelligence.

The test is actually not taken very seriously by AI researchers as it
is very subjective. It is also very often wrong. There is a famous
story regarding a group researchers actually applying the Turing Test
to a set of humans and software simulations (basically chat bots.) One
of the human subjects was very well versed in Shakespeare, and the
person administering the test could not believe that an actual human
could know that much about Shakespeare and so labeled the person a
robot incorrectly. Applications of the Turing Test are wrought with
this kind of mix up.

Also, the Turing Test isn't very good at determining actual
intelligence in the sense most of us look for in AIs. There are very
simple chat bots that can hold seemingly meaningful conversations for
extended periods and thus pass the Turing Test. These bots are nothing
more than a collection of pattern recognition algorithms and if/then
clauses, basically on the par with the intelligence of a thermostat.
Not the kind of intelligence we find meaningful.

Nathan -- (a semester away from a) PhD in AI.