OFF) no "strangers" in here, just lettin' ya'll know/ A.ANDROID voiceover

Mike Holmes fofp at STAFFMAIL.ED.AC.UK
Fri Dec 20 08:45:43 EST 2013

On 19/12/2013 17:06, Nathan Gilbert wrote:

> Also, the Turing Test isn't very good at determining actual
> intelligence in the sense most of us look for in AIs. There are very
> simple chat bots that can hold seemingly meaningful conversations for
> extended periods and thus pass the Turing Test. These bots are nothing
> more than a collection of pattern recognition algorithms and if/then
> clauses, basically on the par with the intelligence of a thermostat.
> Not the kind of intelligence we find meaningful.

You're begging the question there in assuming that a digital algorithmic
system cannot be "intelligent". I think that's the error Searle makes in
his "Chinese Room" analogy.

The kind of intelligence we find "meaningful" is perhaps better
signified by the word "sentience"?

FoFP

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.