OFF: A request for some UK library research assistance

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon Dec 23 10:47:03 EST 2013

On Dec 23, 2013, at 8:07 AM, Ben Cohen <ben at TMK.COM> wrote:

> Hello, all,
>
> This is completely off-topic. I need some help with a little research on
> something for a personal project. This will, I believe, probably just involve
> 10-20 minutes in a library somewhere (probably anywhere?) in the UK.
>
> Specifically, I'm trying to find a list of the shows (plays, musicals - that
> sort of thing) that were on-stage in London in November and December, 1988. My
> initial thought for how to get that was to take a look at some archived
> newspapers to look at performance listings from a few weeks back then.
> However, the newspaper archives seem to only be available (free) from
> libraries in the UK. Otherwise, they're rather expensive to get individual
> issues.
>
> Is there, perhaps, anyone on that side of the pond who might be willing to
> take a run to a library for me (or, for that matter, if you've got any other
> way to find it)?
>
> By way of verifying said list of shows - it should definitely include "A Walk
> in the Woods", staring Alec Guinness, and another one (title uncertain) that
> was a Sherlock Holmes play.
>
> Oh, and if, indeed, the easiest way to do this is just to grab some page
> images from a few archived newspapers - please - that's really all I need.
> I've got no problems with browsing through them myself.
>
> So... anyone out there willing and able to lend me a hand? Please? :-)

Like Arin, I'm in the USA and so perhaps not best placed to help.  But, I think perhaps a good place to look might be in Time Out for 1988, which likely will include the current London stage productions for that time.

The Times (London) is also a newspaper of record and so is likely to be available via microfilm or microfiche in university libraries.  I know it was when I was at university in the UK.  It might well include lists of the current London stages productions, too.  The Virginia Tech library, where I am, has access to the Times digital archive, but, from the collection title, it seems to indicate it covers only 1785--1985 and so would seem to stop just short of the year in which you're interested.

The Virginia Tech library is currently closed for ~2 weeks for the winter break, but if you haven't managed to turn up anything I can ask whether they could track down the information you're seeking.  Subject Librarians like a challenge. :-)

Cheers,

Paul.