A request for some UK library research assistance

Mark Forums markforum at SKY.COM
Mon Dec 23 19:08:34 EST 2013

Ben,

Have you tried through this route, maybe there is somebody connected with
education who may already have a subscription that you could "borrow"?

http://gdc.gale.com/products/the-times-digital-archive-1785-1985/

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On
Behalf Of Ben Cohen
Sent: 23 December 2013 13:07
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: OFF: A request for some UK library research assistance

Hello, all,

This is completely off-topic. I need some help with a little research on
something for a personal project. This will, I believe, probably just
involve
10-20 minutes in a library somewhere (probably anywhere?) in the UK.

Specifically, I'm trying to find a list of the shows (plays, musicals - that
sort of thing) that were on-stage in London in November and December, 1988.
My initial thought for how to get that was to take a look at some archived
newspapers to look at performance listings from a few weeks back then.
However, the newspaper archives seem to only be available (free) from
libraries in the UK. Otherwise, they're rather expensive to get individual
issues.

Is there, perhaps, anyone on that side of the pond who might be willing to
take a run to a library for me (or, for that matter, if you've got any other
way to find it)?

By way of verifying said list of shows - it should definitely include "A
Walk in the Woods", staring Alec Guinness, and another one (title uncertain)
that was a Sherlock Holmes play.

Oh, and if, indeed, the easiest way to do this is just to grab some page
images from a few archived newspapers - please - that's really all I need.
I've got no problems with browsing through them myself.

So... anyone out there willing and able to lend me a hand? Please? :-)

Ben