Digital Music Server advice

John Rennie hawkfan at RATSAUCE.CO.UK
Fri Jul 5 12:55:27 EDT 2013

There are lots of ways you could do this. If you like using an iPod the
easiest solution would be to get a iPad Mini, or even a full iPad. The
latter would be expensive, but IIRC you can still buy the older
model(s) of iPad quite cheaply.

I'm not a Macophile, so I have no personal experience of how well this
would work, but I've used an Android tablet for this (a Nexus 7) and it
works very well. On my Android tablet I use XBMC as my media player -
I'm fairly certain this is available for iOS as well, or of course you
could use the media stuff built into iOS.

But my much preferred solution is to use a media PC, and even though
I'm a non-Macer I use a 2010 Mac Mini (running Windows 7 via
Bootcamp). This is absolutely brilliant. The HDMI output hooks up to
the TV and I use the headphone socket to run audio through my hi-fi.
The Mac audio circuitry seems pretty good and I can't reliably tell the
difference between the Mac Mini playing FLACs and my (expensive!) CD
player. If you really care about audio quality hook up a decent DAC like
the HRT Streamer (http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/music-streamer-ii).

The disk in the 2010 Mac Mini is 320GB so there's lots of room for
audio. You can also put iTunes on it and have it manage the iPod. I
keep music (and videos) on a server that lives in the cupboard under
the stairs, and the Mac connects through the wireless network. But then
I have loads of films that wouldn't fit on the internal disk.

I use XBMC as my media player (same as on the Android tablet). This is
available for OSX as well as Windows, or again you could use the player
built into OSX. The only drawback is that you won't get a 2010 Mac Mini
for under $400, not even on ebay. In the UK they go for around £350,
which is around $525. However if you can stretch that far it's by far
the best solution.

If the cost is a problem there are various cheaper media PCs around,
and there are a lot of Android based systems appearing. A friend has
been using the Ouya (http://www.ouya.tv/) as a media player and it's
only $99! It's not a patch on a Mac Mini though - buy the Mac and if
necessary sell your grandma.

JR