Digital Music Server advice

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Fri Jul 5 16:11:27 EDT 2013

I am, well, not exactly a "Macophile" _per_ _se_, but I've used Mac stuff for a long time. :) I put most of the CD collection into iTunes as ALAC files back before we left the UK; I get new music in lossless if possible (converting it to ALAC as necessary) and while I don't _like_ the idea of buying compressed music from Amazon or iTunes, I have gotten a few things from iTunes more recently, just to check out at least. I mean, it's not like I'm usually listening on the world's best speakers, or in otherwise audiophile environments. :D

I increasingly use the Apple TV unit as my go-to AV entertainment source. Streaming from the net is nearly impossible on the local connection, but downloading complete files to my computer's hard discs and then streaming those over my perfectly good in-house Wi-Fi is a very good solution -- especially in a house with a 3-year-old (and in which I am the only being who puts away/cares for discs properly!): no physical media to damage. :)  I increasingly find myself viewing physical media as clunky and antiquated! ;)

What I really need are other wi-fi speaker units that receive from the computer or Apple TV in other rooms, that I can control with my phone.  I am already putting a signal everywhere, I just need to be able to exploit it to stream audio in a given location in the house. :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson