Digital Music Server advice

John Rennie hawkfan at RATSAUCE.CO.UK
Sat Jul 6 11:48:17 EDT 2013

>I guess the dock is only made for the tablet to sit vertically

No, the tablet sits in the dock in landscape mode.

>32GB is a bit small

Yes, you'll need to stream the music over WiFi, so you'll need a PC or
NAS box running somewhere to store your music.

>So, docking it semi-permanently is OK in terms of protecting the battery?

Yes, it simply stops charging when the battery reaches 100%. You can
leave it permanently charging with no harm to the battery.

Re the Sqeezebox: I toyed with the idea of getting one some time ago
when it was first released. However you need a server app that runs on a
PC/Mac. Also it wasn't clear how much control you get over the library.
I haven't looked at the Vortexbox.

Before you spend any money grab a copy of XBMC to try on your PC or Mac. It's free! http://xbmc.org/.

Re good music: assuming I'm allowed to mention bands other than BOC and
Hawkwind, a friend has recently been nagging me to listen to some of
the new prog rock that's around, and I have to say I'm very impressed.
I suspect most of the bands have listened to a few Porcupine Tree
albums, but being influenced by Porcupine Tree is fine by me :-) Try the
bands Amplifier (best album is Octopus from a few years ago), Alcest,
Anathema, Beardfish, OSI and Baroness.

JR