iTunes advice

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon Jul 8 09:47:54 EDT 2013

On Jul 8, 2013, at 9:25 AM, Albert Bouchard <altbouch at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> Forgive me if this answer has already been given but iTunes lets you specify where you want your files to be stored. In the preferences menu under advanced you can specify where you want your files to be kept. It can be anywhere you want.

I believe that setting only allows you to change where the root directory of your files live.  Keith's complaint is (as I understand it) that the arrangement of the lower-level subdirectories isn't to his liking, and so changing the "iTunes Media folder location" wouldn't help with that.

You might be able to get completely manual control (like Keith seems to want) if you changed that setting AND unchecked both "Keep iTunes Media folder organised" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library."  Unchecking the latter would mean (I believe) that iTunes would retain a pointer to the original location, which could be whatever OCD arrangement you fancied. :-)  (Unchecking the former would presumably prevent iTunes from moving things around when you subsequently edited the metadata.)

Of course, unchecking these means iTunes would easily lose track of content if you happened to move the songs after you'd added them to the iTunes Library, and so probably isn't entirely wise to do so.  Like Carl says, iTunes doesn't really expect you to worry where specifically your music lives, and you're supposed to impose order on it via playlists and searching/browsing restrictions, not by moving the files about.  Having read the Walter Isaacson biography of Steve Jobs, I understand the Jobsian philosophy is "Steve knows best, not the end-user, and we'll do things Steve's way thank you very much."  That approach works out fine, except when it doesn't. ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.