iTunes advice

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Jul 9 09:03:52 EDT 2013

On 09 Jul 2013, at 07:52 , Jonathan Smith <smithjm77x7 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> iTunes Store can be switched off. I just find iTunes is rather bloated.

It is, and has some curious glitches and blind spots as well. I am not so into the dropdown media-type "tab" in the new version for switching between music, movies, TV shows (is there a real reason for distinguishing between movies and TV shows?) etc as its a bit sluggish, and it's weird that I can buy and organize e-books, but not view them (not that I really want to read on my desktop machine, but I should like to be able to view the contents to check stuff, occasionally). The metadata fields are all legacy for tagging audio, and have only been adapted to video or text somewhat haphazardly. Also, why are mobile device apps in iTunes and desktop apps in the App Store? (I mean, I know the historical reasons -- but come on! Get it sorted out!)

> I assume that somebody (hopefully not Apple) will establish some standard
> with digital AV sales sooner or later. Torrents are most people's answer!

Yeah, downloading video from the iTunes store is a bit slow -- at least with my local ISP!  I don't object philosophically to the idea of streaming video, but it's just to unreliable at present in my context.  It's easier to download.  (Seriously, even though I _have_ HBO locally, I nevertheless torrented, converted, and watched through the Apple TV all the episodes of the last season of Game of Thrones just because the quality was better! I'm not sure to what extent it's "piracy" if I have actually paid to view the content in some other delivery format ... :) )

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson