OFF: RIP Iain Banks - Sci Fi novelist

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon Jun 10 11:42:07 EDT 2013

On Jun 10, 2013, at 5:22 AM, Mike Holmes <fofp at STAFFMAIL.ED.AC.UK> wrote:

> On 09/06/2013 23:20, Keith Henderson wrote:
>> Hey Folx...
>>
>> In case you hadn't heard...
>>
>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/10108861/Iain-Banks-dies-of-cancer-aged-59.html
>>
>> I read a few of his culture epic/space opera novels (?), and thought they were decent enough.
>
> A great writer and a very nice guy. He'll be very much missed.

Seconded.  I'm half way through _The Hydrogen Sonata_ and it makes me sad to think this is the last new Culture novel I'll get to read.

I just returned from a European holiday and the first news item I saw was this.  As well as being sad, I am shocked at how quickly he passed on from announcing his cancer back in April.  The good thing is that he apparently died peacefully.

RIP, Iain.

Cheers,

Paul.