HW: Psychedelic Warlords- Space Ritual

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue Mar 12 09:05:33 EDT 2013

On 12 Mar 2013, at 04:38 , SHLL (Scott Heller) <shll at novonordisk.com> wrote:

> Hope all is well. Curious if any one on the list besides myself has seen or has any opinions on Nik performing Space Ritual and Alan Davey performing separately?? Funny that Nik is in the USA doing the record in LA and Alan is putting it on all over the UK and also at Roadburn Festival

Eh, we're basically talking about different cover bands, no? Nik played on the original SR, though as Lemmy notes, they often tried to mix him out because he was just all over the place. ;) And Alan was in a much later incarnation of the band, but if anyone other than Lemmy understands what vibe the bass on that material needs it's probably Alan. But will the guitarist in either really sound like Brock?  I haven't heard either band, so I can't say -- but to me, SR sounds essentially like Brock-Lemmy-King with some space sounds around it, and very few other lineups of anything sound very much like _that_.

> (I will be a special guest [at Roadburn] making space sounds).

Awesome! :) That should be fun, hopefully. :)  All my best to Alan when you see him. :)

> Anyway, I am sure one or both bands will release something, which will be interesting but clearly hard to touch the original...

Maybe a live album or a video?  Both sorts of things are relatively easily done on a budget these days, though the results are not always epoch-making. :)  Hard to imagine either group doing new material; what would be the point?

> On another subject, I can't wait to hear the Warrior on the Edge of time in 5.1 mixed by Steven Wilson.. What a dream... I hope someone records some of the shows in at easter when the band will play the full record, apparently without sin´mon house, which is a pity as he was a huge part of that record.

I'm curious to hear the remix. Frankly, I've always felt a little let down by Warrior!  Heretical, I know ... ;) but though there are some great songs on it, I've never felt the performances were all there .... (For example, I like the A&B>GV on "Palace Springs" much better than the original!)  Maybe a new mix will help?  On the other hand, Wilson's approach on Tull's Aqualung was pretty much to just make a better, clearer version of the original mix. It sounds great, but will that approach help what I perceive as the trouble on Warrior? Oh well, I look forward to hearing it anyway, sometime.

As for Simon H: yes, clearly a key piece of the puzzle on HotMG as well as on Warrior. Is he well enough to play these days?  Hmmm.  I admit I haven't heard a lot of the current incarnation of HW. I think they're all pretty good folks in the band, but I haven't been convinced by the studio albums, and it's hard to judge the live performances by the generally dodgy mobile-phone videos that float across YouTube. Still: good to know there's still something going on! :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson