OFF: AI Staff Picks for Best of 2013

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Jan 2 12:34:36 EST 2014

On 02 Jan 2014, at 10:59 , mary sullivan <maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET> wrote:
> $3 is more than reasonable for quality music, (which I'm sure it is, having been there when Chris worked
> with Carl and friends in the studio, a real fun time for me.  We did have a
> nice little scene in Boston, fond memories, and thanks to Scott for
> introducing us.  In fact, Carl, if you would, write me, and tell me where to
> send the 3 dollars.  I may not have a lot of cash, to hear music made by a
> friend is a very worthwhile cause.

Luckily, no one has to send 3 dollars -- but, on the other hand, no one can get physical media with my music either! So streaming and downloads are what there is.

I have music from Espada Negra (my little project with Andy Gilham, ex of this list) and a few tunes from myself on Bandcamp:
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
https://espadanegra.bandcamp.com/

I like Bandcamp, though I don't know how accessible it is for those who cannot see!  If it turns out to be terrible for unsighted navigation, you might be able to write them and tell them. They seem like good enough folks who run it, and might fix it up. Their focus is on audio, after all -- not video. :)

I leave visitors the option to "buy" music from those pages, but I don't exactly go out of my way to encourage it. I'm just a hobbyist -- if people listen to a few songs and like them, that's more than enough for me.  Of course, I do get a kick if someone really likes it enough that they throw a couple of bucks in the hat. Since it is all done through PayPal, and in several currencies (none local!), I am not quite sure what I would do with the contributions -- but, so far, the songs haven't earned enough to really worry about that! :)  After all the fees that would likely apply, I might be able to spring for a packet of peanuts or something. :)

The same songs (and some more, less polished things!) can also be streamed or downloaded from Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://soundcloud.com/espada-negra

No options to buy there! :)

I'm actually working on a new recording of one of the songs that I recorded with Chris 20 years ago, and I'm trying to get the original keyboardist from that little band, who effectively co-wrote the song with me, to join in on synths and backing vocals -- but it's a long way from done, yet!

> Dave's show along with Jerry, and Christian, to name the most known shows to
> me are a nice way to get the music out there to all of us. No, there isn't a
> lot of money in it, but that isn't what it's All about.  Music raises the
> healing vibration of this world, and spreads information, it's easier than
> being a wandering minstrel.

Indeed. I see a lot of value in the online press and a communities that (inevitably) form around these kinds of artistic creations. There are a lot of little bands all over the world who can now reach out and touch me from quite a distance, via individuals and groups who pool and share their knowledge and resources. I've heard more than a few things from small bands in the last year where I thought "this is great; I'm gonna buy this", and you really feel like you're getting something real, made by people not so different from yourself and liked by more people not so different than yourself -- for all that I'm getting a download from people I will probably never meet or see in some other corner of the world. Still feels real. :)

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson