OFF: AI Staff Picks for Best of 2013

Keith Henderson khenders64 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 2 15:46:13 EST 2014

JGJ sed...

>Just picked up Electric Eye, Cambrian Explosion,
 Kikagaku Moyo from your list :) and Rovo and System 7 from Jeffs'. Grabbed
 Domovoyd,  Sophies Earthquake and The Cosmic Dead split from Scott's
 blog. Threw a few on my wishlist. I have most of Jerry's list, but have
 to add Census of Hallucinations to my collection.

That's awesome.  You made good choices.  Yeah, the Electric Eye one caught me by total surprise.  It was so excellently made in addition to being cool psychedelic songwriting.  But I guess they've all been in other somewhat successful bands, just not in this exact genre, so I wouldn't have known who they were beforehand.  Kinda like Nik's cobbled together Space Gypsy band, that turned out to be a great blanga backing band.  Anyway, Electric Eye has kind of a Spaceman 3/Spiritualized sort of vibe going on, as well as the powerpsych rock element.  And then Tangerine sounds like a ripoff of Tea Party* ripping off Led Zeppelin's Kashmir, and then given the track title, maybe it's no wonder.

>  A big thanks for the links :)

My pleasure.  Now I have to start on 2014 music!

Keith H.

* Are they still going?  If not, what's Jeff Martin doing nowadays?  Anybody in our Toronto contingent up on them?