OFF: Metaphysical question... is BOC-L dead?

mary sullivan maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Mon Aug 3 18:02:02 EDT 2015

Please, don't go, we need the intelligent people to keep things going when
they appeared to be getting dumbed down everywhere, no offense intended
toward Anyone here.  Before Love In Space came out, Chris and I were joking
about Hawkwind love songs, so he suggested Sweet Mistress Of Pain, we got a
good laugh
I'm glad the show was a lot of fun.  What did they play.  The first BOC song
I heard was Cities On Flame, and I knew that it was going to fly.  Sadly
I've never caught a show live.  They were a major part of the mid 70's for
me.  We have a good thing here, if we can All keep it cool and consider each
other's time and space this should work for everyone.  We don't need to know
each other's every thought about the powers that be, or whatever.  There's
some room for that, but this is a music group, first.

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On
Behalf Of Jonathan Jarrett
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2015 11:21 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: OFF: Metaphysical question... is BOC-L dead?

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015, Alex S. Garcia wrote:
> I've been subscribed to BOC-L for nearly 20 years now (time really
> flies!)
>
> I originally subscribed because I am a fan of Blue Oyster Cult.
>
> Through the list, I have also come to discover and enjoy Hawkwind.
>
> However, it seems that the more time passes and the more this list is
> turning into the Mike and Christian Rant Podium, where they come to
> vent their own personal griefs -- which most of the time bear little
> if any relevance to either BOC or HW, let alone music in general.
>
> Also, the racist contents of some of these mails leave me speechless.
> The lack of any reaction, from anyone, is even more baffling to me. Or
> does that mean everyone else has already unsubscribed? Or, perhaps,
> that nobody reads their messages anymore? (I have to admit, I rarely do
myself).

> Still, if the madness doesn't cease soon, I'll most likely have to
> accept the sad fact that BOC-L is now dead and will proceed to bury it
> (ie. unsubscribe), which would break my heart considering how attached
> I feel to it after all these years...

 	I think today is probably breaking point for me today as well, alas.
I have 167 deleted messages from today's log-in and more than half of them
are from Christian. Well, he can have it, I want none of them.

 	As a parting shot, BÖC played the Rambling Man festival in the UK a
week or aso ago, and though I couldn't go, an ex of mine whom I got into the
band was there with the family and all agreed that BÖC put on the best show
of the festival, so my fears that they had now run their course may be
premature. At any rate, this line-up can hold up their heads amid the
rockers who will never give up!

 	I will check back in on the list in a few weeks and see what things
look like then, I guess. It's a pity, because I'd much prefer my news and
chatter this way than on a web board, but this is how Usenet went and I
guess it's how listserv goes too; only the most determined will hang on when
the traffic gets below a certain level. It's been good fun, people, catch
you in a gig hall like as not, yours all,
 							Jon

--
   Jonathan Jarrett       "There is scarce any tradition or popular error
Medievalist historian    but stands also delivered by some good author."