Floyd 67-74 Japanese and bootleg collecting

Jason C. Hillenburg j.hillenburg at COMCAST.NET
Sun Feb 1 18:02:15 EST 2015

Syd's tortured post-Floyd outings are essential. Not comfortable, but essential. I think we all owe a hearty thank you to Gilmour, Wright, Peter Jenner, and Jerry Shirley for those recordings existing in any form.

My problem with Waters era Floyd is his songwriting. He floundered mightily without in-house editors like Gilmour and Bob Ezrin. He specialized in a sort of low-brow, non-specific pandering to rage and alienation that sounded increasingly juvenile after turning twenty-five. I'm nearly 40 now.

Gilmour is a mighty, mighty lead guitarist. I'd rank only a handful higher.

----- Original Message -----

From: "Abra Cadabra" <anacondaconan at GMAIL.COM>
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Sent: Sunday, February 1, 2015 10:49:23 AM
Subject: Re: Floyd 67-74 Japanese and bootleg collecting

Carl & Jason... i too favor the very early Floyd and Syd was such a
creative genius and a true star in a sense --- from 68-69 onward to
DSOTM and 66-67 Syd era is really all i like the most, and even then,
yes its depressive "art ambience" as opposed to fairytale and
spacerock whimsy that started all HW and Gong for us to witness. But
you "learn" to like Guilmore & co beyond DSOTM which was my
introduction. It seems Floyd were "vampires" saing "shine on you crazy
Syd" and "The Luna Syd is on the Grass" etc ages after booting him
into mental patient obscurity. His 3 + Opel albums are all wonderful
and highly recommended to anyone, I used to hear "Octopus Ride" etc on
LSD trips and they blew my mind all over... "Birdy Hop" at 4AM around
the Lava Lamp in the dark would trigger nuclear holocaust it seems.