Floyd 67-74 etc - a word in Waters' defence

John Rennie hawkfan at RATSAUCE.CO.UK
Tue Feb 3 02:06:35 EST 2015

I don't know Roger Waters personally, but I suspect most who've seen the various interviews he's given would agree that he takes himself awfully seriously (a charge than can never be levelled at the Hawks :-). And if you don't like preaching in music his later albums can get tedious.

But as a lyricist he shows moments of genius. My own favourite is the track Wish You Were Here. I find the lyrics almost painfully beautiful, even now 40 (!!!) years after I first heard them.

JR

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On Behalf Of Jason C. Hillenburg
Sent: 03 February 2015 05:25
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: Floyd 67-74 Japanese and bootleg collecting

Waters wrote like a man alienated from everything. When I was fifteen, sixteen, such blanket disdain for the world carries a certain cachet. By the time I had turned 30, it sounded histrionic and affected. I can't explain the change that occurred in me any further except to say that many favorites from my youth have stayed with me. I just didn't connect much with the Waters-era albums after a time. I doubt my love for Obscured By Clouds diminishes much though and, perhaps not so coincidentally, it isn't a Waters dominated affair.