Hawkwind at Warrington (was: Re: motherland, fatherland, homeland- alien pan transcendental human labor force)

Jonathan Jarrett jjarrett at CORIOLIS.GREENEND.ORG.UK
Sun Mar 8 10:28:09 EDT 2015

On Sat, 7 Mar 2015, Abra Cadabra wrote:
> Jan Akkerman, they are dutch. One of those bands that went under my
> radar, jazz rock as much as i like Colosseum, Kraan or Soft Machine or
> Gong i think they must be a bit twee in comparison, Old hat? 70s
> rejects?

 	I got their live LP _Live at the Rainbow_, from 1975, years ago
because it had a cool gatefold and what was apparently ten minutes of
`Hocus Pocus', which sounded as if it was worth a couple of quid just to
find out how they did it. That is indeed there, with about fifteen
different approaches to the point where they actually have to break into
the refrain, but the rest is much more elaborate, suites with numbered
parts and titles like `Question? Answer!' and `Answer? Question!'. And
blimey, it doesn't half wander. I'd say their aspirations were more
classical than jazz-directed, but they may have mellowed as they got over
what was evidently some conflict about playing to an audience who were
mainly there for yodelling and guitar heroics... Yours,
 							Jon

ObCD: Monster Magnet - _Powertrip_
--
   Jonathan Jarrett       "There is scarce any tradition or popular error
Medievalist historian    but stands also delivered by some good author."