OFF: Re: Sympathy For The Devil (Motorhead new album taster)

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Thu Sep 3 21:43:12 EDT 2015

Well, the Fast Eddie era was long gone by the time I first heard Motörhead! I jumped in around the time of _Bastards_, so it was all new. :)  Obviously, I liked stuff like _Overkill_ and _Bomber_, since those were just good albums, though I thought _1916_, _Bastards_, and _Sacrifice_ were all basically in that league (just not so “new” to anyone but me!), and I’ll stand by that. _March or Die_ … eh, never got along with that one so well. There’s a fair bit of stuff on _Overnight Sensation_ I rate, though only a few songs on _Snake Bite Love_ and most albums since then. I wasn’t terribly into _We Are Motorhead_, though most of the stuff from Inferno on has been pretty solid, though it hasn’t knocked me out.

So maybe it is only possible for people to get knocked out by the first 6 years or so of MH albums that they hear!?

:D

That would explain why everyone who got into them with _Overkill_ were losing interest by the time of _Orgasmatron_ (which I likewise think has about 3 pretty great songs, though I kind of blur on the rest of them).

Admittedly, when I listen to _Bad Magic_, I *do* think “Yeah, this {very bad word} rocks!” And it does. I don’t know that it will stick with me, but for a 69-year-old escapee from the speed ward and his (quite small) band of Merry Men, that’s pretty good going, I reckon.

With Hawkwind … sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn’t so much; it’s more stylistic. I’ll confess that I haven’t been too thrilled since Alan Davey last peeled off. I mean, all the guys are great guys; I dig that Tim Blake is back in there, and I dig his solo stuff … I’m just not feeling the blanga vibe in current HW, which I freely confess is what I like best in the band’s history.

But that’s OK. I’m sure other people really dig it. Maybe the gigs are great; I’m too far away for that anyway. And there’s plenty of great stuff going on.

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson