OFF: Re: Sympathy For The Devil (Motorhead new album taster)

Arin Komins akomins at UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Sep 10 08:29:20 EDT 2015

On an album, the best covers are those that are different than the original in some way.  The ones the diverge the most tend to be ones I prefer (Mask of the Morning/Mirror of Illusion, for example.)  ...and there is a fine line between an outright cover, than variations/jamming on the original, the latter of which tends to work fairly well in live performance.

That said, some things they can play over and over and over in live performance, and I would be relatively content.  (We've had a warrior live....now just give me Quark or PXR5 live, and I would be a happy hobbit.)

Yet, have been pleased as punch to see new work on the albums.  For instance, some of Dibs' contribs have brought science fiction lyrics back, and I'm very grateful for that. ....

Just my tuppence worth :-)

Arin

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On Behalf Of Carl Edlund Anderson
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2015 7:08 AM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: OFF: Re: Sympathy For The Devil (Motorhead new album taster)

Yet even granting that, even _Onward_ has a self-cover on the first disc (“Death Trip”, itself already previously self-covered a decade previously) along with another 3 on the second disc (if one has that, and allows “Aerospace Age” as a kind of Hawkwind song — which is at least arguable); _Blood of the Earth_ 2 self-covers on the first disc, and another 3 on the 2-disc version.

I’m not saying all self-covers are bad — very much the opposite — I’m just saying Hawkwind does it a _lot_ in comparison to most acts of which I can think.

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson