Aural Innovations Radio: New Christian's FM99,3 Radiorakel show

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Wed Sep 23 07:55:35 EDT 2015

On 23 Sep 2015, at 06:45 , Abra Cadabra <anacondaconan at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> but as i
> mistranslated Espada Negra as Ace Of Spades (really meaning Black
> Sword??) so my spanish is not nearly as good as my Norsk!

Well, that’s understandable. ;) But, yes, Espada Negra was originally conceived as a “Mournblade tribute band”, since we thought some of their old demos had great songs that were not fabulously well recorded (though quite understandably, since they were essentially homemade demos from the early ‘80s!). Anyway, we thought contemporary technology at least gave us a shot of decent cover versions of the songs — and we tried to rearrange them a bit, too. More fun that way … :)  And what better name for a “Mournblade tribute band” based in Latin America than “Espada Negra” (i.e. “Black Sword”)? :)

Of course, the “tribute band” aspect was ruined a bit by, almost as soon as we had thought of it, various incarnations of Mournblade actually reforming and playing gigs and releasing DVDs and CDs … ;)  But getting founding Mournblade guitarist Rich Jones (who also played in a Hawkwind tribute band for a while!) to contribute guitar solos to one of our rearranged covers of his songs, and vocalist Dunken Mullett to sing on one of our original pieces (that we started doing once the actual Mournblade re-activated) made it all  alright. ;) It was really fun working (if only virtually, from a considerable distance) with those guys — they’re pretty cool.

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson