[boc-l] New albums

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Mon Apr 25 09:59:24 EDT 2016

Whether albums sell or not, they are effectively promotional items for tours/concerts (As I understand it, the current music business works pretty much the opposite of how it used to: it used to be you toured to promote an album; now you record an album to promote the tour — which, along with merchandising, is where your money can be made.)

So you make a record either because you just feel like it (and can afford to do so!), or because you are promoting live shows. If BÖC are doing all right from their current concerts, then the incentive to make a new record is much reduced. :/

Similarly, Black Sabbath probably did fairly well (by contemporary standards) with the recent _13_ album — but there can hardly be any doubt that they make far more money with the giganto-tours (playing oldies).

I like to hear new music (from BÖC, or Hawkwind [who have at least released some!], or Sabbath, or whoever), but clearly I’m in the minority! LOL

Even though the new HW album is apparently doing relatively well in the charts, I would bet their bills are being paid by the concert dates.

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson