[boc-l] New albums

Nathan Gilbert nathan.gilbert at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 10:05:18 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 7:52 AM, Arin Komins <akomins at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> New hawkwind album charted at #29 last week.

​I think this actually validates my point re: older acts with older fans.
I'm sure the numbers are in the 1000s in order to get to #29 as well.
Whereas 10 years ago it would have been in the 10,000s or even 100,000s of
sales to achieve that chart position.

I imagine Hawkwind make their new albums on the cheap -- in their home
studio or something on the order of 50$US an hour. If they are getting
around 10K total album sales that would more than cover their cost of
producing the album and potentially lay the foundation for a UK tour.

I also am interested in new music from these bands, but I'm very
pessimistic in the financial feasibility of making music these days.   ​