[boc-l] And now... a word from our sponsor

Michael Holmes M.Holmes at ed.ac.uk
Mon May 9 10:16:49 EDT 2016

On 09/05/2016 14:52, Arin Komins wrote:

> I miss the community we used to have here as well.  It seems much of
> that conversation and camaraderie that used to be here has shifted
> onward to FB.
>
> So, onto some actual HW-related content:
>
> Now that the gigs are mostly done for the tour; what did everyone
> think?  Still listening to the new album on repeat?  Waiting for the
> single?

Well, the new songs were very much better on tour than they were at
Seaton. I think HawkEaster would have been more enjoyable if they hadn't
played the same gig two nights - one night should have been given over
to just enjoying some old and less usual numbers. On tour though they
really shone and the interplay between Haz & Dave were a big part of
that. And yes, still waiting on the single. Meanwhile I read The Machine
Stops for the first time since school. It's surprising in a lot of ways.
There's the author forseeing what we'd now call the Internet; the
concept that this would atomise people; the dystopian idea that some
kind of eco-catastrophe would drive us underground; the loss of
knowledge; the generally downbeat ending. Many of these ideas became
currency for later stories such as War of the Worlds (underground
cities). Rollerball (knowledge of how to control the machinery being
lost), THX118 (pretty much a rewrite of the story itself), and countless
1970s SF dystopian stories feature a technological atomisation and
downbeat ending.

So all in all a great choice of story and an excellent musical
realisation of it. I'm saddened by the folks who've fallen out of the
airlocks on this one because I do think they're missing something.

FoFP