[boc-l] Good article about the reality of the music business for senior bands like BOC

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at carlaz.com
Fri Aug 4 10:01:47 EDT 2017

Well, so much news and discussion these days has moved (for good or ill) to social media platforms, I had actually almost forgotten that good ol’ BOC-L exists until I saw these emails!

Yeah, Eric is right: recorded music doesn’t pay. It has become principally an advertisement for live music. And quite likely older bands (I’ve seen various articles about older artists returning to the stage because that’s how ya gotta pay the bills!) with extensive and well-known back catalogs don’t have much incentive to write and record new material to serve as advertisements for their touring.  You also see the arguments that a well-established older artist could “damage their legacy” with a cruddy new song, and I have to admit that I see the argument (whether or not it might be the case), as much as it disappoints me.

I can’t say that I am hugely disappointed that musicians need to gig to make money.  I don't get to a lot of gigs these days, but I come from a background in which live performance was considered “king” anyway.  Hit the stage and rock, people! :)  On the other hand, I do lament the diminished of incentive for artists with a solid roster of live songs to actually compose new stuff.

Oh well!  That’s the topsy-turvy music business for you!

Meanwhile, since none of it affects me anyway, here are some links to my recently recorded cover of Bob Calvert’s/Hawkwind’s “The Right Stuff”:
https://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson/the-right-stuff <https://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson/the-right-stuff>
https://www.reverbnation.com/carledlundanderson/song/28351655-right-stuff-bob-calverthawkwind <https://www.reverbnation.com/carledlundanderson/song/28351655-right-stuff-bob-calverthawkwind>

Yeah, yeah, I know: Mining other people’s back catalogs! :D  Well, I pick away at my own new stuff as well (at least as fast as BÖC do! :D ).
Oh, did I post “She Rides” here? That’s a semi-recent original song:
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/track/she-rides <https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/track/she-rides>
https://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson/she-rides <https://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson/she-rides>
https://www.reverbnation.com/carledlundanderson/song/28065977-she-rides <https://www.reverbnation.com/carledlundanderson/song/28065977-she-rides>

Cheers,