[boc-l] HW: Hawkwind, and others, at A New Day Festival

Jonathan Jarrett jjarrett at coriolis.greenend.org.uk
Sun Aug 26 19:21:48 EDT 2018

 	Dear all,
 		  I have been meaning to post about this since I got back
from the festival, which seemed a lot like the old Canterbury Sound
Festival that gave us the 2001 live album (which I am in fact listening to
right now, which is why I remembered I wanted to post about it). The
venue, rough time of the year and about half the acts were the same. I
don't know if the old one went bankrupt or something, and no-one wants to
admit a link, but it seemed pretty obvious to me. Anyway...

 	There were lots of interesting bands on the line-up: details can
be seen here:
https://www.anewdayfestival.com/
but once you poked at the programme a bit it turned out many of them were
one-original-member-and-entire-new-band formations. Thus were the
Ken Pustelnik's Groundhogs, Jethro Tull's Martin Barre, Atomic Rooster,
and I suppose Son of Man sort of count, though all of these were
excellent; Atomic Rooster had Pete French on vocals, who was dreadful when
I saw him with Leafhound back in, er, 2004 maybe, and now sounded like he
did in his Cactus days again somehow, and their organist both sounded and,
more surprisingly, looked like Vincent Crane. There was also Hugh Cornwell
not being the Stranglers, Ruts DC actually doing a pretty good job of
being The Ruts, John Coghlan leading a band probably more able than Status
Quo ever were, John Otway doing an unusually low-energy job of being
himself actually, and Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy being, well, Carl Palmer
really but he is still amazing despite being I don't know how old. Bernie
Tormé, just to break with the trend, did not pretend to be or play
anything by any of the bands he'd been in as far as I could tell, and he
was very good but probably not one of nature's frontmen, even now.

 	The most unexpectedly good band, for me, were Tygers of Pan Tang,
who were also down to one real member but you wouldn't have known except
that he was older than the rest. My partner and I had seen Iron Maiden two
weeks before (my first time!) and I said to her, Maiden wouldn't have let
this lot support--just that little bit too close to the throne...

 	Most predictably excellent was Arthur Brown, whose current band
is one of his more fun and able and who somehow still sounds the way he
did fifteen years ago when I first saw him, though he is now, if it
possible, thinner. Still fully voiced though!

 	Gong, who are effectively touring the post-Daevid album _Rejoice!
I'm Dead!_, I was expecting to be a wrench but they were actually not as
deeply affecting as I'd feared--or hoped. They will be, I think, this is
definitely a Gong band, but the second guitarist (Kavus Torabi,
ex-Cardiacs, presumably unemployed while Tim Smith continues to fight for
survival...) and now somewhat unwilling frontman needs to accept that he
is part of the act and not the ringmaster. He spent a lot of time saying
how incredible it was to be doing this, etc., which just detracted from
any impression that he had really expected it to work... How can I put
this? Have you ever seen Gong do the Temple suite and felt like maybe
there was actually a building rising around you? Or 'Aum Riff' and you got
to a state where no-one was actually playing the riff but you could almost
*see* it anyway, so insistent was it? (That had last happened to me in
this exact place, eighteen years before, which may be one reason why I
found this wanting.) If you have, though, you will remember, every member
of that band head down piling coal into the metaphysical boilers like it
was all meant to be this way at this moment and they'd known the plan
beforehand. But Kavus would be down in the front row pointing at it to
make sure everyone had seen it. I get that stepping into Daevid's shoes is
difficult, but if he's going to, he has to actually be the sorceror, not
the apprentice. I hope to see them again and I hope he's beginning to
understand how Daevid managed to make being really silly a solemn act when
I do...

 	And... breathe. But the reason I post is of course Hawkwind, who
were headlining the Saturday. It wasn't the magic occasion that the 2001
performance was, but that was quite possibly the best Hawkwind gig I ever
saw so it wasn't ever going to be that. Line-up was Dave, obviously,
Richard also obviously, Niall on bass and synth, Dibs on vocals and
MacBook, and someone whom Wikipedia tells me is Magnus Martin on
keyboards, violin and second guitar. (What happened to Haz?) I didn't take
a set-list but my impression was that apart from one track off _Into the
Woods_, there was nothing from outside the 70s. They certainly opened with
`Assault & Battery/Golden Void', followed it with `Shot Down in the
Night', and the set also included `Damnation Alley', `The Watcher' and
`Down Through the Night' (which I've never heard live before). No
`Brainstorm', no `Masters of the Universe' and no `Assassins of Allah',
and not really any problem with that. The band was very good together,
there was what seemed to be genuine jamming in the breaks, and though I
found Dave's guitar a little raw on the ears and there were times when I
thought maybe one fewer member of the band needed a synthesizer, it was
all a good performance, especially considering they had basically no scope
for visuals. So that was good, but one little moment niggled, and it's
what I actually wanted to tell you all about...

 	When they'd finished `The Watcher' and were setting up for the
_Into the Woods_ number, which Richard was to sing, Dave told the audience
as is his wont that `The Watcher' was an old Lemmy number, and Richard
suddenly sparked up with words more or less like, "I've always wondered,
Dave, why didn't Lemmy write more songs when he was in Hawkwind?" At this,
as you might imagine, Dave went sulky and if he said `I don't know', only
Richard heard it, though he then repeated it in schoolroom-sarky fashion,
"Oh you DON'T KNOW, eh, really..." And Niall had to step in and cheerily
remind Richard he was up next and this was his big moment and so on. It
all seemed to pass off quickly enough but it was a brief moment of
ugliness, and it made me wonder what was going on. I know that many a band
member, and Richard among them, has had trouble getting their songs onto
Hawkwind records while they were in the band, and that's effectively why
we have Alan Davey's _Captured Rotation_ and the one-and-a-half Star
Nation albums, and therefore by extension everything Bedouin ever did and
the Earthlab album, and I would not wish to be without the first or last
of those, so maybe it's OK. But I'd have said Richard had had a fair few
songs on the last few albums, and has sung at least two on each, so I
didn't quite understand where this was coming from or why he'd do it in
such a fashion. I hope all is well on the bridge of the good ship
Hawkwind. Or, I suppose, if not, I hope what it means is another Star
Nation album rather than anything more serious... Anyway, that's quite
enough from me. Hope everyone's well out there and can survive this
2005-style Jarrett post, yours all,
 				    Jon

ObCD: Hawkwind - _Canterbury Fayre 2001_
--
"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since
  it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has
   Jonathan Jarrett, Leeds, jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk