[boc-l] HW: Birmingham Town Hall 25.xi.2019

Jonathan Jarrett jjarrett at coriolis.greenend.org.uk
Mon Nov 25 07:22:55 EST 2019

 	Dear all,
 		  I was at the Birmingham gig, as threatened; I wore my
Nethawks shirt (well, Big Mike's, but it's mine now) but didn't find any
of us except Nick on the merch stall. Still, it was a good performance. I
thought the mix was a little unsettled till the jame section of 'Flesh
Fondue' and for me it really only took off with 'Born to Go', but after
that I knew I was watching the real band all right. The new material held
up OK, especially in its breakdown sections, but seemed hard for them to
integrate -- you'd be freshly thrown into deep space and then the second
guitarist (whose name I couldn't catch) would pull out the acoustic and
competely change the mood, so that they had to gather everyone back on
board again. It's weird how even after this long touring, Hawkwind only
seem to plan a setlist as an organic whole about a third of the time.

         Still, no complaints from me about what was in that setlist! I'm
sure it's been recorded elsewhere already, and I didn't write it down so I
won't try and replicate it, but I enjoyed the 'Born to Go' (of course),
the 'Silver Machine' and despite its repetitive lyrics, the new '65
Million Years Ago'. The visuals left me feeling very sorry for the
brachiosaurs, too. Visuals in general were very good; my favourites
probably the break-dancing astronauts, but among many. I don't yet have
the new album, and it wasn't on sale -- and I didn't even get a t-shirt
because not enough cash, and had been expecting card sales by now... --
but it's on order now, I'm looking forward to it. (If anyone feels like
picking me up a tour shirt and trusts me to refund them... or even prefund
them, get in touch!)

 	The support band, probably best not described in detail; my
partner thought it was a music teacher convinced he'd trained the next
singer-songwriter sensation and determined to stay aboard. The venue could
also have done with maybe having more than one working beer-tap in the
main bar on a night with two rock bands playing. But the actual Hawks, on
good form and great to see them again. I hope everyone else is having a
good tour too! Yours all,

Jonathan

ObLP: My Dog Popper - _668: Neighbor of the Beast_
--
        Jonathan Jarrett, Keighley and University of Leeds
     "Says not the Wise One, `When two men cannot agree over