[boc-l] It's time for goodbyes

Ben Cohen ben at glaver.org
Sat Dec 11 16:32:48 EST 2021

On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 09:17:38PM +0000, BOC-L Mailing List wrote:
> I'm sad to see it go, though I understand the reasoning. And it's true it's
> been quiet.
>
> Still, I enjoyed my time here.
>
> It kinda irks me though that social networks just scored another point.

I'm not entirely sure that's quite a valid view of it. [Note - I'm not a fan
of all of the "social networking" and such, just not sure it's applicable
here.]

I think it's more that, as a mailing list that formed around a couple of very
specific, and highly focused topics (BOC and HW) - without ongoing "stuff"
happening from those interests, there's just not that much to talk about most
of the time.

> They will be the death of mailing lists :(

To be completely honest, I've contemplated shutting the list down several
times over the past few years - mainly due to, as I just noted above, lack of
activity. If we don't have anything to talk about, do we really need a soapbox
with a "captive" audience?

> So long, everyone, and thanks for all the fish.

Indeed. And we do still have a little bit more time here, for anyone who might
wish to reminisce or anything else.

Heck, I'll toss in a couple of my own:

1) From the very early days of the list, all of us scrambling to try and
understand the lyrics from so many BOC songs - and congratulating ourselves
when we finally figured something out.

2) For a while, Al (Bouchard) was actually a member of the list. He announced
when he first started The Brain Surgeons. Right around the time of the first
album ("Eponymous"), he talked about how they were going to be performing at
CBGB's in NYC. I lived right across the river in Jersey City, so I made it a
point to go there and see the show.

3) Not sure how much people are aware of the ... notoriety? ... that the list
has for the current members of BOC. Eric basically hates (hated?) our very
existence because we tended to agree with the "alternate" explanations for why
things fell apart (Al leaving, etc.).

   Many years ago, I went to see BOC perform at The Stony Pony (in Asbury
Park, NJ). After the show, those of use who stayed crowded up to the satin
ropes since they were doing a meet-and-shake-hands with the fans sort of
thing. I was there, and when Eric got to me, I commented that I was the
moderator for the BOC-L mailing list, as I put my hand out. He proceeded to
just ignore me (pulling his own hand *back*, lest he shake mine) and went on
to the next person.

   Yep, that's right... I was snubbed by Eric Bloom. Don't believe anyone
else noticed (or cared), but I still think it was incredibly petty of him. :D

Ben