[boc-l] It's time for goodbyes

Alex S. Garcia asg at mvdbase.com
Sat Dec 11 20:37:55 EST 2021

>> It kinda irks me though that social networks just scored another point.
>
> I'm not entirely sure that's quite a valid view of it. [Note - I'm not a fan
> of all of the "social networking" and such, just not sure it's applicable
> here.]
>
> I think it's more that, as a mailing list that formed around a couple of very
> specific, and highly focused topics (BOC and HW) - without ongoing "stuff"
> happening from those interests, there's just not that much to talk about most
> of the time.

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that you were stopping the list because of social media. It was more of a general statement. Because, let's face it, without social networks, there likely would be a lot more mailing lists still around.

People have just moved on to more technologically advanced methods of conversation. Not much we can do about it.

>> They will be the death of mailing lists :(
>
> To be completely honest, I've contemplated shutting the list down several
> times over the past few years - mainly due to, as I just noted above, lack of
> activity. If we don't have anything to talk about, do we really need a soapbox
> with a "captive" audience?

I get it. But why have conversations died down? You said it yourself, there are only 50 or so folks left on here. There used to be more, weren't there? Do you think they lost interest in BOC or HW? Some, possibly. All? Doubtful. There are many reasons to leave a list, and I'm not saying everyone did this, but I suspect many just found other places to chat.

> 2) For a while, Al (Bouchard) was actually a member of the list. He announced
> when he first started The Brain Surgeons. Right around the time of the first
> album ("Eponymous"), he talked about how they were going to be performing at
> CBGB's in NYC. I lived right across the river in Jersey City, so I made it a
> point to go there and see the show.

I remember my surprise when I first joined BOC-L and realized Al was a member haha. It was cool having those interactions with him.

> Many years ago, I went to see BOC perform at The Stony Pony (in Asbury
> Park, NJ). After the show, those of use who stayed crowded up to the satin
> ropes since they were doing a meet-and-shake-hands with the fans sort of
> thing. I was there, and when Eric got to me, I commented that I was the
> moderator for the BOC-L mailing list, as I put my hand out. He proceeded to
> just ignore me (pulling his own hand *back*, lest he shake mine) and went on
> to the next person.
>
> Yep, that's right... I was snubbed by Eric Bloom. Don't believe anyone
> else noticed (or cared), but I still think it was incredibly petty of him. :D

Wow. Yeah, that was petty :(

I did get to see the band live once. Couldn't stay after the show though as I wasn't feeling well by the time it ended, but the show was cool and remains a good memory.

Can't remember when it was exactly... probably early 2000's, in a venue near Marseilles (in France).

Alex.