[boc-l] It's time for goodbyes

Jonathan Jarrett jjarrett at coriolis.greenend.org.uk
Sat Dec 18 08:26:11 EST 2021

 	Dear all,
 		  here's hoping there's still time to see this posted,
though it would be very much on form if I were just too late...

 	Firstly, I didn't see this coming and it's really sad, because
BOC-L has been a big part of my life outside work at times and still a
significant thread at other times ever since I got onto it in, er, I think
1996 (wow). But on the other hand, after a few days I thought, wouldn't it
be worse if the list had outlasted the bands? However pleased Eric Bloom
may or may not be about that, it's still got to be the better outcome...

 	Secondly, thanks to all who have run it, especially Ben and Terry
but also Steve Swann as the voice of quiet authority at a lower level when
one of those was needed. And thanks to everyone who's posted and kept it
going that way, of course.

 	Since we were briefly telling stories about meeting BÖC, as well,
I will say that they did come out for the first gig I saw, at the Forum in
Kentish Town, London, 1998, on the Heaven Forbid tour. I was there with I
think Carl and Charlie Grant (Charles the Grinning Boy), and Eric and
Buck, plus Danny Miranda, all came out for a drink afterwards and it
was just the BOC-L people left waiting for them. Charlie hugged pretty
much all of them into submission and got photos with them all (on a real
camera, no smartphones then), and I just about nerved myself up to shake
Buck's hand (nerved mainly because of awe, but also, I admit, because I
was so afraid of accidentally saying what was top of my mind, which was
'gosh, you looked taller on stage') and then talked to Danny instead
because it was less challenging. But Eric kept his shades on and front up
throughout, so that tracks.

 	I got onto BOC-L because someone who was used to watching Usenet
and knew me as someone who had discovered Blue Öyster Cult and was
evangelising about them everywhere, and had noticed a related group (who
remembers what?) to which someone at our university was posting. So I
mailed him and it was Carl Anderson, and he said, more or less, well,
yeah, there's that group but I'm on a mailing list that's much better. And
then I picked up a HW best-of because of talk here and the rest is now
archive material...

 	In that time I've made friends and piled up debts to people
(some unpaid, mainly to Big Mike, now I think about it, for beers and his
unwanted t-shirts, and to Jill Strobridge for coming down for my 40th
birthday, and some returned (people I stayed with for gigs and ten for
interviews whom I was able to host in turn, or who sent me stuff that I
sent stuff back to--here Mike Holmes most of all, but also Keith
Henderson), and goodness knows where Carl and I stand on any cosmic tally
by now, so much music and other knowledge have we exchanged. I've been to
BOC-L members' weddings (maybe just one, but still), heard some
incredible gig stories and begun to amass a few of my own, joined in with
trying to moderate our resident lunatics now and then, not posted as much
as I should have, lamented our thankfully-small number of dead (Mike C.
most recently), and had a generally marvellous time. And I've found out
about so much music, through recommendations, the Last Tapes of May
exchanges and just through people's ObCD tags. And indeed links to
Aural Innovations, which I'd probably not have found out about
otherwise. Thanks to everyone, for so much.

 	There are people I will keep in touch with, I'm sure, and people I
will mean to and forget to, so everybody, please, this e-mail is good for
the foreseeable future, if you're not normally in England and you get
here, or if you're passing through Yorkshire, or just want to say hi,
please use it. There will still be Nethawks out there even if the ship has
landed. Stay well and safe everyone, and maybe I'll see you at a gig yet.
Bye bye! Yours all,
 		    Jon

--
        Jonathan Jarrett, Keighley and University of Leeds
     "Says not the Wise One, `When two men cannot agree over