Scheduled ISPnet maintenance, Saturday-Sunday, March 5-6, 21:00-02:00 (Eastern)

Bob Tinkelman bob at TINK.COM
Wed Mar 2 17:01:07 EST 2016

ISPnet has scheduled an extended maintenance window for this
coming Saturday-Sunday overnight:

   Start:  21:00 (EST) Sat, March 5, 2016
   End:    02:00 (EST) Sun, March 6, 2016

The goal of the work is the upgrade of an ISPnet backbone circuit
between two ISPnet POPs:

   7 Teleport Drive, Staten Island, NY
   165 Halsey St., Newark, NJ

We expect to complete this work with no customer impact.

However, there are two periods duing the maintenance where there
are possibilities for problems to occur.

The first involves the addition of a switch to one of our switch
stacks at 7TD.

This is normally a non-intrusive operation.  However, there is a
small risk that it will trigger the reboot of the stack and, in
that case, the switch stack will be non-functional for a period
of approximately 10 minutes.

Most of our customers at 7TD have dual connections to ISPnet and
would not be impacted, but single-connected customers served by
this switch would see a 10 minute outage.  We will be sending
separate emails to these customers.

The second at-risk period relates to the relocation of a dark
fiber circuit from one set of fiber equipment to another.  There
will be a period of around 1 hour when the ISPnet circuit between
8TD and 165H will be down, and its normal load will be handled by
a fall-back path.

During this time, ISPnet's 7TD POP will be operating without
redundancy.  If a separate unrelated failure occurs on the fall-
back path, then we could see an interruption of service to all
our customers at 7TD.

This is an extremely unlikely event, but it is a possibility.

The main purpose of this notification email is to let our
customers know that we will be operating at a reduced level of
redundancy during an estimated 1-hour period at some time during
the maintenance window.

If you have any questions regarding this announcement, please do
not hesitate to email or phone.
--
Bob Tinkelman          <bob at tink.com>
ISPnet, Inc.    http://www.ispnet.net