[ispnet-announce] ISPnet peering at the Telehouse NYIIX

Bob Tinkelman bob at tink.com
Tue Mar 27 04:32:27 EDT 2018

This is a informational announcement to ISPnet custoemrs, not
requiring any action on your part.

On Sunday and Monday we received problem reports from several
customers who were observing high packet loss on connections to
ISPnet sites from certain other networks, with the most common
complaints involving Cablevision/Optimum/Lightpath. The problems
occured for brief periods that seemed to occur randomly, roughly
on the order of once every 3 to 5 hours.

We localized the problem to the point where ISPnet connects with
Cablevision at Telehouse's NYIIX peering switch in New York.

Telehouse reported that they were working on a similarly desribed
problem affecting all traffic through their switch fabric.

Yesterday afternoon, ISPnet shut down all our peering bgp
sessions that utilize the NYIIX and plan to bring these back up
only after Telehouse has found and fixed their problem.

Under normal circumstances, between 30 and 50% of ISPnet's
external traffic uti.izes direct-peering with other networks,
mostly over the NYIIX and the DE-CIX-NY peering exchanges, the
latter of which is _not_ involved in this problem.

For now, the portion of our traffic that would normally have
utilized the NYIIX will take another path, either via peering at
the DE-CIX-NY or via one of ISPnet's upstream links.

We would not expect this change to cause any problems or, in
fact, to be visible in any way to a normal user.  [Someone
using "traceroute" to investigate network flow will see a
different path than normal.]

The portion of traffic affected will vary on a customer by
customer basis.

This email is mainly precautionary.  Something in ISPnet routing
has changed.  You should be aware of that and should (as usual)
report any routing-related issues to us.

--
Bob Tinkelman          <bob at tink.com>
ISPnet, Inc.    http://www.ispnet.net