[ispnet-announce] Scheduled ISPnet maintenance window: Feb 1-2

Bob Tinkelman bob at tinkelman.com
Wed Jan 29 07:08:01 EST 2020

ISPnet has scheduled the following maintenance window:

    Sat Feb 1 23:00 EST - Sun Feb 2 01:00 EST

While we do not expect there to be any user-visible effects,
the work does have the potential to affect all ISPnet customers.

The scheduled work is intended to address the problems that
caused a problem yesterday, Jan 28, 03:00-10:00 EST on the
ISPnet network.

The problem was triggered by an error made by one of ISPnet's
three major upstreams (Hurricane Electric).  Their error
resulted in periods of routing instability throughout ISPnet
causing intermittent periods of high packet loss.  The
symptoms continued until we disabled our link to Hurricane
a bit before 10 AM.  Later in the afternoon they reported
they fixed the problem at their end.

During the planned maintenance window, we will re-enabling
our link to Hurricane, monitoring the results, and making
some other changes to our network to try to mitigate the
results of any future similar errors made by our upstreams.

We apologize to our customers for the problems caused by
yesterday's events.  While this is the first time that this
type of issue has affected our network and we consider the
chances of reoccurance rare, we take seriously our
responsibility to insulate our customers from problems that
occur outside our network (as well as inside) and will be
working to improve things in the future.

--
Bob Tinkelman <bob at ispnet.net>
ISPnet, Inc. http://www.ispnet.net