Brain Surgeons and ITS comming

BREVARD Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Mon Aug 28 18:43:00 EDT 1995

>Adrian writes:

>The setlist is the property of Al, Deb and the band but I would prefer to
>see them play longer sets of Surgeon material than to sacrafice a song for
>BOC cover.  I'm sure they can do any of them well but this is a brand new
>band.

>Just wanted to point out the Brain Surgeons are VERY focussed on doing
>new music.  Don't let 1 or 2 "blasts from the past" fool you.  When I
>saw them play last November, they played 2 old songs - the rest was stuff
>from *Eponymous*.  When they played last month, again their were 2 "golden
>oldies" (although "Death Valley Nights" was a planned encore that wasn't
>played), along with 3 songs from *Eponymous* and 4 from the at-the-time-
>unreleased *Trepanation*.  This to me, in lieu of longer or multiple
>sets, is a pretty good compromise.  Obviously, a talented group with as
>much material as the Surgeons have must make some choices - but I think
>they've done well there.  I like the new stuff tremendously, but I also
>like hearing the band pay some tribute to its roots (hey, those songs
>were great when Albert was in BOC, so their still great songs that Albert
>should play out of BOC).

>John

Thanks J but on average how long have the Surgeons sets been?  I've been
digging at Al and Deb for an ultra long show if they can ever make it close
enough for me to see them.  While I'm sure in a club rocking with sounds it
wouldn't make much difference what they played, just thinking about it I
would prefer to here as many originals as time would permit.

AB

PS Al and Deb stay tuned making a new booking contact for you to exploit,
hopefully in the next couple of days I can put you in touch with someone
else from this area.