OTHER: Howard Millman and Theo on bootlegging

Rob S etlrbsy at ETLXDMX.ERICSSON.SE
Mon Dec 4 09:40:18 EST 1995

>         I don't have much of a stand on this: the few bootlegs I've heard
> have always been such lousy quality that there's not much need for moral
> agony over them. But, I must admit, I do have a policy of replacing my
> pirate tapes, largely because I want the album sleeves and haven't got
> the nerve just to go into Our Price and nick them... But I do reckon it's
> a little bit dubious, when the record companies get so much of what your
> average, non-superstar league, group makes, not to let them get some
> token of your esteem.

   (I missed the original post, hope I'm not being irrelevent)

   Aren't you confusing bootleg tapes with pirate tapes. I would have
  nothing to do with pirate tapes as they deny an artist both royalties
  and sales figures, whereas a bootleg of a live gig is doing no harm,
  as the vast majority of bootleg tapes are sold to/made by fans who
  already try to get everything the artist has anyway.

   bye - Rob