OF Stu Hamm

klaatu klaatu at NANDO.NET
Wed Dec 13 18:27:04 EST 1995

--- On Tue, 12 Dec 1995 15:23:35 -0500  John A Swartz <jswartz at MBUNIX.MITRE.ORG>
wrote:
>I believe that the Linus and Lucy bit is on one of the songs on
>Stu's "The Urge" album.  I'm currently trying to secure a copy.
>I have seen it advertised in cdconnection -- it, along with "Radio
>Free Albemuth" are on the "Ruthless" (Ruthless Rhymes?) label, and
>"Kings of Sleep" is listed as being on Relativity.
>
>John
Just pulled it out of my CD-Rom before reading this mail.
  "The Urge" by Stuart Hamm  1991 Relativity 88561-1052-2
      special guests: Eric Johnson, Tommy Mars

  Track # 7 "Quahogs Anyone (119, 120 whatever it takes)"
  A live Bass Solo recorded Sept. 27,1990 which is built up of:
    0:00 Kings of Sleep
    1:55 Linus & Lucy Theme
    3:01 Neuromancer
    4:10 A Country Night in Hell
    6:00 (track ends with crowd's applause)

"The Urge" plays like a live album although its studio & of excellent
recording quality (even the live bits). I HIGHLY Recomend it!
All of Stu's work is very good, I'd rate his bass solos as the most
refreshing ones since Billy Shehan's Talas days. Anyone who can play
Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata or Debussy on electric bass without loosing
his Prog./Metal audience deserves a listen. He's no Jeff Berlin, but
he's getting close.

   "Radio Free Albemuth" 1988 Relativity 88561-8209-2
      special guests: Allan Holdsworth, Joe Satriani, Tommy Mars

  Allan & Joe are both on the first track "Radio Free Albemuth"
  which along with "Flow My Tears..." are inspired by the same named
  novels of Phillip K. Dick. This Disc reminds me more the fusion
  jazz of Jeff Berlin with a bit of Allan's I.O.U. thrown in.

This album is a MUST have! Even if Stu had turned out to be the
biggest looser with this debut offering, Allan's glorious playing
meshed with Joe's power chords would have more than made up for it.

Somewhere around here I have "Kings of Sleep", its another fine
album, but its best to read William Gibson's cyberpunk books first
to really see how Stu orchestrated this album to be a soundtrack
for the unmade Neuromancer film. "Kings of Sleep" is one of Bill's
short stories about a paralyzed woman who becomes this great artist
whose dreams are recorded & sold as cyber art. KoS is this one specific
dream about driving along the edge of the Cliffs of Dover on a motorcycle
at extremely high speed. This would be the perfect future medium for
a grand tale like Imaginos.

Have These discs gone out of print or something? I could have sworn
that I saw all of them still in the stores.

- Loucifer