All Hallows (Off topic)

J Strobridge eset08 at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Wed Nov 1 14:07:30 EST 1995

>         Hey, that's me!  Every Halloween the Harvard SF club would strip
> down (but stay legal ;), daub ourselves not blue paint (theatre pancake,
> not actual woad ;) and go racing through the streets of Cambridge, MA
> in pursuit of a similarly (un)attired person with antlers strapped to his
> head and carrying a staff (namely, me :)

>         Ah, alas for those days!  Here it is, Samhain again, and no such
> heady excitement in Cambridge, England I'm afraid ....

oh yes  - the idea of scantily clad, blue-daubed figures with antlers
on their heads scurrying through the streets of Cambridge and running
out across the misty Cambridge fens on a dank November's eve conjurs
a wonderful, wonderful picture!

Quite apart from the fact that you would unquestionably be arrested for
"indecent exposure" "behaviour likely to cause an affray" or other
quaint medieval puritanisms you would also undoubtedly hit the front
page of the News of the World/The Sun/The Daily Meal/and most likely
the Sunday Sport while the tales of horrified Cambridgeshire folk
would be Legion - probably growing in exaggeration with every round.

Ah - and my claim to fame would be...... "yes, I know that person"

You'd also probably end up with pneumonia too, but that's entirely by
the way!

cheers

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at castle.ed.ac.uk