off topic-uk money?

J Strobridge eset08 at CASTLE.ED.AC.UK
Tue Nov 7 13:36:12 EST 1995

> currency hasn't changed in a hundred years, it seems that the UK
> changes it every year so that every time I visit I have coins
> from my previous visit that are no longer legal tender e.g. the 5 and 10p

I mourned the loss of the old 10p which was identical to the 2 shilling
2/- and interchangeable for a while.    It was a decent respectable-
sized coin.    One regret of recent coinage is that we've lost the
historical feel.  To have a hundred year old penny coin in your pocket
always evoked a sort of wonder when I thought how many times it had
been traded over the years!

In fact the size of the old 5p is not all that far removed from the new
10p coins and so if you *do* have a few there might be some machines
that wouldn't actually recognise the difference!

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at castle.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk