HW: World War

Craig Shipley craigs at PYRAMID.COM
Tue Nov 7 14:43:48 EST 1995

CHOMP!

> ObBook: Harry Turtledove's "World War". The aliens have reconnoitred
> Earth and spotted that their weapons technology is only at the knights
> in armour stage. 800 Years later they send out an invasion fleet that's
> not too heavily armed. After all, 800 years is a pretty short time when
> your history is 50,000 years.
>
> The arrive two years into World War Two and are shocked to detect radio
> transmissions and radar. They drop EMP bombs to knock out the radar and
> communications. People wonder what the pretty lights are, except for one
> guy at Chicago University who figures that this project he's working on
> may succeed after all...
>
> So because of valve technology, the nuclear strike fails. The aliens do
> however have 1990's equivalent tanks and aircraft which take a hell of a
> toll on the human versions. However the humans don't surrender and keep
> on throwing tanks and planes at them. Since the aliens have a finite
> supply, even an attrition rate of 25 to 1 the aliens will run out of
> stuff they brought with them unless they can establish industrial
> capacity on Earth. They can't even nuke the place because the
> colonisation fleet is already on the way.
>
> The one advantage they have is that the humans were already at war with
> each other and history books say that playing off factions is possible.
> Unfortunately that hasn't been done in the aliens history for 36,000
> years, and the humans seem inhumanly devious about it. Not only that,
> but there's a suspicion that the British and Germans may be sharing
> technology to fight the aliens.
>
> Written by a historian, this is seriously good stuff.
>

> FoFP

Now _THIS_ sounds like something that HW could have a field day with
setting to music! Sounds like a book I'll have to pick up real soon now!

(Anyone in the UK interested in helping me find some war novels that have
been long out of print on this side of the Pond? Private e-mail, please!)

objCassette Deck: Merge / In The Lap Of The Gods - Mourn not TD no more!
                  Get this excellent Logos/Poland/Pergamon-styled effort
                  and rejoice! Hallelulia, bubba!

      -m------- Craig Shipley   aka: craigs at pyratl.ga.pyramid.com
    ---mmm----- Pyramid Technology Corporation, A Siemens-Nixdorf Company
  -----mmmmm--- 1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE, Suite 400