Weak Coffee/Small Thoughts

BREVARD Adrian R. ABrevard at SHIWAS01.WASHINGTON.MM2.SHL.COM
Tue Nov 21 13:10:00 EST 1995

>AB,
>Sounds like you still got some o' them beans in your system!  Steve
>Vai?  If that wanker ever wound up a full-time BOC, I'd quit
>listening to the band.

> Personally, I lke the group as is.  Why
>introduce some new dynamic when you already have near perfection?
>Total perfection, of course, whould be a reunion...
>theo

Hmmm. don't know much about Vai really except for a few songs where he has
exhibited a lot of skill.  Course that dosen't matter if your a jerk.  Skill
wise if he just concentrated on doing his part and not overplaying he could
probably do it.  Now a guy like Gary Hoey could do the Buck thing easily,
though I don't think BOC's music or style would appeal to him.  As for Eyes
and Alan, again when I listen over and over to msome of my favorite BOC
songs, Eyes always seems to be doing the vocals and Alan can be heard on the
keys.  I feel that this is what each does best and should do more.  Eyes
will never be confused with some of the great rythm/supporting guitarist but
you can't argue with his vocal skills.

Now at the risk of starting a thread that may not end I'll toss out the
following points:

This band misses the Bouchard brothers.  Yes this has been said many times
and of course the band will never be the same musically, it couldn't
possibly be unless you reunited the original members which is never going to
happen.  Danny and John have really increased the energy level of the rythm
section, Danny in particular was much better than when I saw John Rodgers,
John was good but Dannny was phenomonal.  However, Al & Joe's songs just
don't sound as good without there vocals.  Eyes voice is unique to his songs
as Buck's are to his, but neither of these guys is capable of doing a
Bouchard song the way I'm accustomed to hearing it.

With that in mind I think they should concentrate on Buck and Eyes songs as
well as some newer ones, See you in Black, Harvest Moon, the ones that are
already part of the set.  A third person on vocal would also help as I did
not see anyone else doing vocals other than Buck and Eyes.  Style and
muscianship aside the vocals are what separated BOC from other bands like
Kiss and Aerosmith in their heyday.  I think they need another vocalist
preferrably one who is very adept at rythm guitar.  Again Alan is decent and
Eyes poses pretty good, but if you can't get the full range of vocals then
improve the harmonics, get Buck a playmate.

The setlist could probably use some adjustment also.  That is another common
thought on this line and maybe one of the reasons it remains pretty static
is because of a lack of ability to play some of the other numbers due to
vocal and playing limitations.  The current group would be better if they
were six instead of five.

A world of Fantasy - Rudy's mind may be in the gutter when not in space but
my orbits at 22,300 miles all the time.  Hows this for a fantasy.  Yours
truly becomes an overnight sensation, everyone wants an appearance.  Lorne
Michaels calls and offers a guest host shot on SNL.  Willing to pay the
standard fee.

"Well Ab will you host the show?"

"Not sure Lorne, the layout sounds fine and the fee is acceptable but you
haven't told me who the musical guest will be."

"We have a couple of things going, looking at Bush, Presidents of the United
States and Elastica."

"What?, are you kidding me?  I'm not going to introduce any of those dorks.
 No way.  You want me on the show I name the musical guest."

"Can't do that.  In all my years no one has ever pulled rank on the music."

"Oh really Lorne?  I was awake in the late 70's and early 80's and seem to
recall a situation where Walter Mathau made this really nice speech about
music and what his interests were. He wanted some opera and had requested
Garret Morris sing one of his favorites.  It came off like a skit until
Garrett belted out some fine tones, at that point even the audience realized
this was no joke."

"So whats your point?"

"You want me you gotta have my band play, not two songs they get three."

"Three?  We don't have room for three songs.  And who the hell do you weant
anyway?"

"Get me BOC and cut out that last skit, twas weak to begin with."

"Who? You mean Blue Oyster Cult? Aren't those guys dead or something?"

"No Lorne they still crank.  Get them and get them fast."

"OK if they are available then we'll get BOC.  Cripes my ratings are really
gonna suffer now, kids won't know these guys."

"Let me worry about the ratings just promote the band along with my name and
you are going to get one of the top rated shows in SNL history.  MTV will be
unplugged that night I tell you."

Lorne gets BOC.  The band does three songs Don't Fear the Reaper, I want to
See You In Black and Subhuman.  Subhuman mesmerizes the studio and veiwing
audiences.  There is a run on ST( it and OYFOOYK go double paltinum) and a
great clamor for new BOC material.  Sony lays tons of money at BOC's feet.
 Ab gives up his rocketing acting career to take guitar lessons from Buck
and becomes the sixth member of the worlds most popular band.

The End