Off: Steve Vai

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Tue Nov 21 19:16:43 EST 1995

Bryan Irby writes:

> I've got Vai's "Flex-Able" disc, some of which I really like, some of which
> I don't.  I've not heard anything from his last two discs.  Can anyone
> recommend them, or otherwise give me an impression of them?

_Flex-Able_ is closer to the sort of stuff Vai did with Zappa.  I have
two other Vai albums beside that one: _Passion & Warfare_ and _Sex &
Religion_.  Both are more "accessible" than _Flex-Able_.

Of the two, I easily prefer _Passion & Warfare_.  (There is some
incredibly beautiful material on there, for those accusing Vai of
being "all speed and no feeling".  There is, of course, also some
"technical & fast" stuff; must be the "warfare" part.)  As for _Sex &
Religion_ (released under the "band" name, Vai), I wish Steve had
taken a leaf out of that Frank Zappa guitar album: _Shut Up 'N Play
Yer Guitar_.  The vocalist can be a little much, at times.  But there
is still a lot of worthy material, and the album is more like a
"normal" rock album, which might appeal to some folks.

I haven't heard his latest, _Alien Love Secrets_.

I think Vai can put people off at first.  I know it took me a few
spins to really get into _Passion & Warfare_, for example.  But that's
probably because I just flat hate "guitar hero" albums because they're
usually sooooo boring (REPEAT weedly weedly weedly UNTIL FALSE).
However, I was lured into getting it because of his association with
Zappa.

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Laibach, _Let It Be_ (Beatlemania strikes again!;)

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.