Alien 4- Revisited

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Thu Nov 23 10:25:09 EST 1995

> Kapal is a very cool
> instumental, probably my favorite on the lp.

        I also find "Vega" strangely appealing.  Normally, the Brock
synth-wash pieces all sound the same to me, but "Vega", unusually, managed
to capture my fancy somehow.

> After that there are the
> retreads of Death Trap and Wastelands, which are ok.

        I've been wondering about the guitar on these.  When _Area S4_
came out, I was delighted by the cool wah guitar action which hadn't been
heard from Brock in a while.  Then when _Alien 4_ was released there was
a note that that Jerry bloke had played guitar on Death Trap, so I thought
maybe that wasn't Brock after all.  Now I am back to thinking the wah guitar
_was_ Brock: there's a bit of non-wahed guitar solo in Death Trap which plays
over the wah noodling which could be Jerry's bit, and there's a good bit
of other wah guitar sections stashed about on the album as a whole.  Plus,
the wah guitar on "Death Trap" does seem awfully like the  Brock wahing of
old ....

> They need Carl to join their band and give a kick.......

        Yeah, right!  Scott kindly overrates my very limited skills  :}

        Nevertheless, I'm getting a band together here in Cambridge and
all goes well we'll be jamming tonight for the first time!  Look for
progressive psychedelic heavy rock emerging from East Anglia during
the coming year :)  Plus, my sister will be finishing adding synth
work in the next few months to the demo tape I recorded with Chris Bruce
this past summer and I'll try to find some reasonable scheme of getting
copies of it to those who want them when the time comes (and it will come,
unlike the demo from the late and marginally lamented Ossian's Ride demo ;)
        Plus, Tania Ruiz (ex of this list and creator of the Brain Surgeons
homepage) sings throughout and DavID Kuznick (of this list) contributes
synth work to the "amazing Hawkwind rip-off song" :)  A real boc-l effort!

Cheers,
Carl