No coffee in a few days

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Wed Nov 29 14:58:54 EST 1995

>when you go to a show and say "hmmm, never heard 'em play it like that", its
>probly cuz they forgot how to play it...someone told me the other day that
>Michael Stipe from REM brings the lyrics onstage with him cuz he forgets the
>lyrics...some even have telestrators onstage...

Well, with Stipe it could just be that "end of the world" song he forgets.
I seriously doubt most singers forget lyrics.  I remember an inverview with
oh, I think it was Bowie but I'm not certain, saying that when he first
started out he would have them written and someone noticed and told him to
learn them, because it would show in how confident it was when he sang, so
he did and it made a huge difference.  If you're worried about getting the
words right it's much harder to concentrate on SAYING them right.

Still, I've seen a few slips.  I saw Warren Zevon once start out "Werewolves
of London" by singing "I saw a chinese werewolf with a menu in his hands",
then come to a dead stop, shake his head, then start over... <g>...