Watt "Dominance and Submission" CD single out??

DFrost8547 at AOL.COM DFrost8547 at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 4 17:51:09 EDT 1995

Actually, when Watt initially talked to Albert about his proposed album, he
was going to do it with two bands-- one on the West Coast (with members of
Pearl Jam/Nirvana/Chili Peppers and the Nels Cline Trio, who he's touring
w/now, had jammed with locally, and also contributed to the same Minutemen
tribute the Brain Surgeons did) and another on the East Coast (mostly, cause
J Mascis likes flying and/or earthquakes 'bout as much as I do!). But he got
started on the West Coast, and got on such a roll that he wrote and recorded
most of the stuff before arriving in NYC. Albert jammed with J Mascis and
Watt on a coupla things in a rehearsal studio and the next day, went to
record. But there wasn't time for much more than "D&S," and in the end, some
of the songs (like the George Clinton cover) were so long that there wasn't
room for it on a single album-- Watt seemed to have approached the whole
enterprise the way he once did the Minutemen-- forgetting that when that
outfit recorded 20 songs at a pop,  they were all only a minute or so long!
And, more sticky, there were too many covers, which makes the
payments/ownership of the publishing for any artist on a maj.label too
complicated (for anyone who's interested, before you shoot off questions I
don't have time to answer about this or start speculating in the dark, a
recent issue of Musician magazine just dealt with this byzantine topic very
well). For those who just joined the list and have been asking: Albert and
Joe have both played with Watt solo and his previous band fIREHOSE on various
occasions.  Albert also joined fIREHOSE and Dinosaur Jr's J Mascis for a live
radio broadcast from Electric Ladyland in '93. Thurston Moore was the master
of ceremonies, and Don Fleming and his band Gumball also played on the same
broadcast. Gumball lost their deal with SONY shortly after releasing their
album Revolution on Ice,  which featured Albert guesting on their cover of
"She's as Beautiful as a Foot."  That event was documented in Spin Mag,
although with portraits of the principals taken by photographer Danny Clinch.
The photo that appears on the back of  Eponymous was also taken there--
although as you can see, it was "doctored" a bit for the Brain Surgeons'
purposes. People have often commented on the sweatshirt (a gift from the
artist, the world famous MeIne) I'm wearing in the pic-- it was partly in
honor of the Red and the Black, the song planned for the evening, and two,
just something I grabbed and threw on (you'll also notice the genuine grunge
hair and lack of make-up-- I thought I was heading to a casual smokey sweaty
club type scene, not a potrait studio!).
       Anyway, as documented by Rolling Stone (who believe it or not,
actually check such facts pretty thoroughly these days) Albert and Joe did
indeed record with Watt. And next week, you'll finally be able to hear it.
--DF