HW: not so Martyn

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Thu Oct 5 13:52:43 EDT 1995

Martyn White writes:

>         Oh OK.  but wouldn't this be in like mpeg format and
> not either PAL or NTSC?  i.e. no video conversion.

That's correct, which is why I was puzzled to read here recently about
how difficult this would be to copy due to PAL/NTSC incompatibilities.
PAL and NTSC are *analogue* video encoding standards; MPEG is a
*digital* video encoding standard.  PAL/NTSC incompatibilites have
nothing to do with any MPEG->{NTSC,PAL} or {PAL,NTSC}->MPEG
conversions one might contemplate.

In fact, I reckon anyone wanting to make their own VHS video of this
MPEG release could do the following: find a GOOD multimedia computer
system, i.e. one that can achieve a *sustained* full speed full-screen
playback of both video and audio for MPEG data streams.  Make sure
said computer has a TV jack (e.g. those nice PowerMacs that have
S-video outputs), or some other TV/composite video output.  Hook up
your video recorder to the TV outputs.  Play the CD on your computer,
recording on the video at the same time.  Et voila, you have a cheapo
VHS copy of your CD (complete with HiFi sound)!

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: Kyuss, _Blues For The Red Sun_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.